Are you a bit of a ‘MasterChef’? Would you like to use your kitchen skills to help others? We have a recently upgraded professional kitchen space where our staff and students cook up a storm every day. During lockdown our catering team prepared meals for vulnerable people in the local area, and we’re looking forward to preparing food for our Share Garden Party later this year.
Share Community is a registered charity committed to improving the social and economic wellbeing of disabled adults. We provide catering training for people with learning disabilities, autism and those facing health-related barriers to employment. This helps them move towards personal goals, opening up career opportunities and building confidence and self-esteem.
You don’t need to be a professional chef; whether you’re a high-end foodie or a passionate home cook you just need to love being in the kitchen, and be keen to support people with learning disabilities.
You'll assist with the preparation of main meals and desserts for Share’s canteen, which are served up Monday-Friday to staff and students. Alongside cooking, you’ll be part of the educational, personal, and social development of our students. Here at Share we’ve got lots of exciting new projects on the go, so now is a great time to join in the fun.
We’re ideally looking for a minimum commitment of one day a week.
Our ideal volunteer will:
- have basic cooking and food preparation skills, with an awareness of how to stay safe in the kitchen
- be able to work as part of a team and use initiative
- have good communication skills
- be able to follow instructions and support others to thrive
If you have any experience of teaching, that would be a bonus, but it’s not essential.
We can guarantee that the right people will have a wonderful experience working in our warm and friendly community. In return for you giving up your time for us, you can expect:
- A warm welcome into our organisation
- A comprehensive induction
- On-going support from staff
- An opportunity to develop new skills and add to your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Free lunch and refreshments
- The opportunity to take part in the annual volunteer survey
- Access to our volunteer forum
- A genuine opportunity to make a difference
Complete our online application form.
If you'd like to have a chat about the role, if you have any questions or if you would like any help with the application, please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7924 2949.