We are looking for experienced chefs that have teaching experience, who could join our bank staff, to teach adults with learning disabilities and autism.
You’ll step in to teach our catering sessions during periods of staff leave. This will involve working alongside the Assistant Chef and up to 6 catering students to prepare lunch for up to 45 customers. Alongside preparing lunch, students are working towards recognised qualification in catering (normally up to Level 1). As part of the course, students learn the basics of preparing and cooking, knife skills, food hygiene, healthy eating and kitchen cleanliness. Share’s catering kitchen is a 5-star registered centre for CIEH Level 2 training.
Work is offered on an as-needed basis, and is normally booked in advance.
- To provide training for adults with learning disabilities and autism, in Level 1 Food Hygiene and Safety.
- To supervise students working in the catering project with the co-ordination and preparation of the daily lunch and tea breaks for Share’s student body (up to 45 people).
- To work alongside our Assistant Chef to maintain the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness in the kitchen and dining room – ensuring we retain our 5 star hygiene rating.
- To monitor and record student’s attendance and progression whilst providing cover.
- To maintain health and safety, and follow organisations procedures and guidelines for working with students. Ensuring you understand and follow relevant Share policies which will be shared with you.
- To collect written or photographic evidence of students work for addition to their portfolio.
- To work as part of a team to ensure the day runs smoothly, students stay safe and have a rewarding day.
Essential skills and experience
- Food hygiene qualification
- Teaching qualificaiton
- Experience of delivering catering and food hygiene training, and working in a professional kitchen, ideally leading a small team.
- Ideally you’ll have worked with adults with learning disabilities and/or autism, or if not, you’ll have an understanding of how to adapt your approach to understand different people’s needs and get the best out of everyone.
- Knowledge of current best practice in catering.
- The ability to motivate others.
- The proven ability to explain tasks and procedures clearly and simply.
- A thorough understanding of what is required to maintain a 5 star kitchen hygiene rating.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering note detailing your availability, to email@example.com.
If you would like to have chat about the role before applying, please call 020 7924 2949.
This job is subject to two satisfactory references, evidence of qualifications, an enhanced DBS check and providing evidence of right to work in the UK. If you have a disability and would like to discuss other ways of submitting your application, please call 020 7924 2949.