Are you passionate about the inclusion of disabled people in the community? Would you like to help people build confidence and independence?
Share Community is a registered charity committed to improving the social and economic wellbeing of adults with learning disabilities, autism, and other support needs. My Community and Me is a popular programme at Share, aimed at helping people learn in real-life situations, getting out of the classroom and into the community. We cover topics such as; learning about local amenities; how to travel safely around London; and what’s involved in going on a trip out. As a class we visit shops, post offices, the park, and many other places!
Your main responsibilities as a volunteer will be to monitor student progression and promote independence. You’ll support people to achieve their full potential and increase their self-confidence. Our students welcome volunteers into their lessons with open arms, and we can guarantee you’ll get a real buzz from doing such a rewarding role.
Our ideal volunteer will:
- have a strong commitment to the inclusion of disabled people in all aspects of life
- be reliable and punctual
- be patient
- be friendly, warm and supportive of people
- have good listening skills
If you have any experience of teaching, that would be a bonus, but it’s not essential.
We can guarantee that the right people will have a wonderful experience working in our warm and friendly community. In return for you giving up your time for us, you can expect:
- A warm welcome into our organisation
- A comprehensive induction
- On-going support from staff
- An opportunity to develop new skills and add to your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Free lunch and refreshments
- The opportunity to take part in the annual volunteer survey
- Access to our volunteer forum
- A genuine opportunity to make a difference
Complete our online application form.
If you'd like to have a chat about the role, if you have any questions or if you would like any help with the application, please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7924 2949.