We’re welcoming back a small number of students both at our garden site in Tooting and our main building in Clapham Junction. This has been carefully planned with strict risk assessments and procedures in place to ensure the safety of our students and staff, which is paramount.
Students who return need to satisfy certain criteria. They should:
- Not be shielding.
- Not have family members who are shielding.
- Be able to understand and adhere to social distancing and Share health and safety guidelines.
- Be able to independently carry out tasks in the kitchen with supervision (catering students).
- Be able to reach the site with their own car, bike or by foot (the next phase will include the use of public transport with PPE and possibly community transport).
- Have not had COVID-19 symptoms in the last 7 days.
- Not be living with someone who has had COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days.
- Seek GP advice, or be sure that people they live with will not be affected if they return to Share.
Social distancing and hygiene measures at the garden:
- Temperatures are taken on arrival.
- The spaces are cleaned twice daily to a high standard.
- An outside covered space is set up to allow for socially distanced learning, exercise and wellbeing support.
- Modifications have been made to inside spaces to allow for socially distanced learning in the event of rain. There will be 6ft long tables for students to sit at either end to maintain social distancing.
- Hand washing is carried our regularly and staff and students are reminded not to touch their faces in line with official hygiene advice.
- Students and staff accessing the garden will either walk, cycle or use their own transport where possible. This will be reviewed regularly to stay in line with the Government guidelines. If staff use public transport, they will wear masks and gloves. These will be disposed of at the entrance to the garden and the staff member will wash their hands immediately.
Social distancing and hygiene measures for catering at the Clapham Junction site:
- Temperatures are taken on arrival.
- PPE is provided and used by staff and students at all times in the building.
- Each person uses their own utensils to minimise sharing and cross contamination.
- The kitchen is zoned to help each member of the team keep socially distanced, arrows on the floor help show people which way to walk.
- People work at opposite ends of work surfaces to ensure social distancing.
- Hand washing is carried out regularly and staff and students are reminded not to touch their faces in line with official hygiene advice.
- The building is thoroughly cleaned daily to a high standard.
- Students and staff accessing the site will either walk, cycle or use their own transport where possible. This will be reviewed regularly to stay in line with the Government guidelines. If staff use public transport, they will use masks and gloves. If students or staff arrive wearing masks and gloves these will be disposed of at the entrance to the building and they will wash their hands immediately. New PPE is then provided.
In addition, students and staff must notify someone if they feel unwell and must follow the Government guidelines on isolating and testing.
As ever, our priority is to offer an enriching, high quality service in a safe environment to help disabled people thrive. As restrictions ease, we’ll continue to work towards welcoming more students back to our sites. We are constantly evaluating the safety of anyone coming to Share and will continually review our procedures and amend them as necessary according to the Government and NHS advice.