Share’s catering course is suitable for students who would like to gain a recognised qualification in catering as well as those who simply wish to become more self-sufficient.
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Level 1 Certificate in Food Safety in Catering
Students learn practical kitchen skills, as well as employment skills like customer service. They learn how to work as a team and take responsibility by preparing and serving lunch in Share's canteen. This helps build confidence and a sense of achievement. Students learn key skills such as:
- Personal and kitchen hygiene
- Knife skills
- Team working
- Handling money and using the till
- Healthy eating and portion control
- Communication and listening skills
- Monitoring and stock management
- Ordering and menu preparation
Share’s recently rennovated state-of-the-art professional kitchen is a 5-star registered centre for CIEH Level 1 training.
Students are supported to work at their own pace based on their individual needs.
A maximum of six students are permitted in the kitchen at any one time. This means that everybody has some one-to-one support with the tutor.
Students are also given the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in our social enterprise, Share Catering. This gives them the chance to practise and showcase their catering skills in a real commercial setting.