Share Community (“we”, “us”, “our”) will keep any personal information you share with us safe and will only process it in accordance with this policy and not for any purpose you might not reasonably expect.
Personal information is information that can be used to identify you. It can include your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number and credit/debit card details. The personal information we hold allows us to provide services, goods and information supporters are interested in and to better understand and improve how we engage, communicate and fundraise for the benefit of disabled people.
- How we come to hold your personal information
- What personal information we collect and how we use it
- How we keep your personal information safe
- Who we share information with
- How we keep your personal information up to date
- Your right to know what information we hold about you
How we come to hold your personal information
We will only hold information about you if you have agreed we can hold it or if the information is publicly available. For example, if you have given us your information:
- Directly (eg, when you request a service, sign up for an event, make a donation, purchase goods or communicate with us).
- Indirectly (eg, when you sign up for an event or fundraise for us through a third party such as the London Marathon or through fundraising sites such as JustGiving). These organisations will only pass on your details to us if you have agreed they can do so.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it
The type of information we collect from you varies depending on the nature of your engagement with us but may include:
- Contact details, including address, phone number and email address
- Date of birth
- Bank or credit card details (only for the purposes of processing donations or purchasing services and products)
We may ask for additional information such as an emergency contact and relevant health information if you are a student, volunteer or member of staff at Share.
We will mainly use your personal information to:
- Provide you with services, products or information relating to our work at Share
- Administer your donation or support your fundraising, including processing gift aid
- Support your volunteering activities for us
- Keep a record of your relationship with us
- Ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted
- Understand how we can improve our services, products or information
We may also collect and retain your information if you send feedback about our services or make a complaint.
Below is further detail about how your information is used to support the charity’s work and support your engagement with the charity.
We do not use profiling and screening techniques but segment our contacts to understand your interests and preferences so we can send the right communications to the right people (eg, students, parents/carers, social workers, volunteers, and so on), thereby reducing our costs allowing more to be spent on helping disabled people.
With your consent, we will occasionally contact you to let you know about the progress we are making in our work with disabled people and to ask for donations or other support. We make it easy for you to tell us how you want us to communicate in a way that suits you. We include information on how to opt out of any communication when we send you fundraising appeals and newsletters. If you don’t want to hear from us, that’s fine. Just let us know when you provide your information or contact us on 020 7924 2949 or email@example.com.
We do not sell personal details to or share them with third parties for the purposes of marketing.
Keeping your personal information safe
We strive to do all we can to keep your personal information safe. We ensure there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your information and prevent unauthorised access.
Personal information is available to staff, volunteers and contractors on a ‘need to know’ basis only and we regularly review who has access to what information. All our databases are password protected.
Where we use external companies to collect or process information (including personal information) on our behalf, we do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them, and put a contract in place that sets out our expectations and requirements; especially regarding how they manage the personal information they have collected or have access to.
We will only share your details without your consent in very exceptional circumstances such as a medical emergency or where legally required (eg, where a child reports abuse or someone reports serious self-harm or a serious intention of harming someone else).
Keeping your details up to date
We make every effort to keep your details up to date, but we would very much appreciate if you could please let us know if your contact details change.
Your rights over the information we hold about you
You have a right to ask us to stop using your personal information, and if it’s not necessary for the purpose you provided it to us for (eg, processing your donation or registering you for an event) we will do so. If you ask us to stop using your personal information we will keep a record of your request so we respect your request now and in the future. Contact us on 020 7924 2949 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any concerns.
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you by emailing us via email@example.com
What are cookies?