Students learn how to cook easy nutritious meals in our brand new purpose-built accessible kitchen in Brixton. Students will learn about food safety and preparation, which utensils to use, and simple cooking techniques, giving them the skills to prepare a healthy meal independently.
The programme includes:
- Identifying the five main food groups and why they are important for good health
- Learning how to eat a balanced diet and good portion control
- How to carry out basic food preparation safely and hygienically like peeling, chopping, and grating
- How to use the oven, dishwasher and other common kitchen appliances
- Setting the table and clearing away after a meal
Funding from The National Lottery Community Fund allows us to include special sessions dedicated to learning how to prepare and cook budget-friendly meals to support students and their families through the cost-of-living crisis.
Our custom built teaching kitchen is fully accessible, with countertops specially adapted for wheelchair use. It's equipped with the types of appliances and utensils you’d have at home and a large kitchen table for people to serve food on, and taste and enjoy their dishes. A large monitor is mounted on the adjacent wall to display easy-read recipes for people to follow.