We cover general topics such as:
- What is work?
- What is the difference between paid and voluntary work, and work experience?
- What are the rules of work?
These topics are then broken down into bite-sized subjects to cover some specific areas of employment, such as:
- Skills required for particular jobs, and how individual skills might match these
- Making informed career choices
- How to search and apply for jobs
- What to wear to work
- Which behaviours, attitudes and attributes are right and proper for the workplace
- The importance of personal hygiene
- Preparing for an interview
- Interview skills
We focus on practical learning with interactive group sessions. We include role play, e.g. working as a waiter or waitress in a restaurant to understand what constitutes good versus bad customer service.
We also provide one-to-one coaching for students to identify their personal needs and aspirations. Our job coaches work with our students to find work experience and volunteering opportunities in the community. This allows people to see first-hand what the world of work actually looks like. In addition, Share's social enterprises – Share Nurseries and Share Catering – also provide real-life work experience opportunities.