Second lockdown update: Share remains open and committed to delivering a service to meet the needs of our students and this includes providing training and support sessions in a safe autism-friendly environment.
Government guidance has been announced that adults who have Down's syndrome have been added to the list of people who are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable. We're running virtual sessions via Zoom for those that will be staying at home - students, parents and carers should email email@example.com for log in details.
As ever our priority is the wellbeing of students and staff and we’re actively monitoring the guidelines to ensure that everybody who comes to Share stays safe.
Share will remain open for the time being. We’re aware of the need to be flexible as things may change at any moment and we’ll continue to review and adapt our procedures as necessary.
For now, Share will run smaller class sizes than usual to minimise contact. We understand that many students will be accessing other community services and we’re working within the Wandsworth Test and Trace System to ensure that details are logged appropriately.
A major change to our Clapham Junction site is a complete overhaul of our ventilation system to improve clean air flow through the building. All teaching and activity rooms also have windows that can open to ventilate the space.
Other practical steps to make our environment as COVID-safe as possible include:
- managing communal areas to help people adhere to social distancing – we have floor markers and easy-read signage throughout the building to remind people of the rules
- minimising physical touch points by using door plates to open and close doors
- implementing rigorous cleaning regimes in the building throughout the day
- using PPE where appropriate - staff will wear visors and students will be encouraged to do so too
- checking temperatures upon arrival
- making sure that handwashing guidelines are properly communicated and implemented
- making sure too many people aren't congregating in communal spaces at once
- providing personal student packs to reduce sharing things like stationery, craft activities and communication tools
Have a look at some pictures showing what our building looks like now.
We have opened up a new site at 336 Brixton Road in Lambeth. This building also is Covid-secure with safety levels that match those at our Altenburg Gardens site, and we’ve also made major changes to our garden site to make the indoor areas safe and secure.
Our syllabus currently focuses on mental wellbeing and will continue to integrate digital skills helping students be more connected via technology, something that has been vital during lockdown.
Staff and volunteers at Share have loved welcoming students back for face-to-face sessions, but we’ll continue to offer online sessions and run our outreach and befriending service to support students at home.
For any more information on this or other issues please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.